Thursday, July 18, 2013

Outlet

Before I started this blog, I didn't know that I would enjoy blogging so much. I have really found that I love writing and expressing myself, my life and what God is speaking to me. Not because I am a great writer, because I don't think that I am. But because it helps me to process what is going on inside of me.

I have a lot going on, as I'm sure most people do. But somehow after I have expressed myself on my blog I go to sleep happier and I am a generally more pleasant person to be around.

I guess blogging to me is what journaling is for others. An outlet. I guess I blog instead of writing in a journal because I like the audience part of blogging. Yes I blog for the sake of my sanity, but I also know that I have gained strength from reading others' blogs and so I want to be that for someone else.  To be an encouragement.  I am much more likely to encourage people in this manner than in person. Because for whatever reason, the words don't come to me well on the spot to encourage and uplift. But when I get a chance to write out what I'm feeling, what God is saying, and edit it until my words most accurately reflect what is going on, it just flows better. And since my audience could be very far reaching, God is able to use my words to speak to people I may never know or see, and I like that.

I like being able to look back and see what God has done in my life. In my families life.

And I know family wants to keep up with the kids (although I know most of what I blog about is not really directly related to the kids).

I really try to be real on this blog in many respects, but honestly, there is some editing.  Because reading and rereading what is written has actually become a part of what helps me to understand what is going on internally and to reflect on what I am feeling as I've put it into words. And in the editing, my feelings or perspective change as God is teaching me. I also edit because sometimes I hit this blog full of emotion, whether it be anger or confusion or sorrow or joy, and I know that my initial reaction is not usually thought through and without being edited can hurt feelings and can cause a negative reaction. And I really don't want to hurt anyone. So I have redacted some statements or edited some to make them less specific (because some things are really no one else's business) and more tactful (because as honest as I am, I don't want to be rude). On a side note, if only we could all find a way to edit what we share with others in a real conversation before it comes out of our mouths, the world would be a better place.

So I am thankful for the world of blogging and sharing my life with others. Because it has become a part of who I am and it has made me a better person as God has used my own words to teach me his ways.


1 comment:

Stacy said...

Very valid points, Sandra. Here's another thing I have noticed. At times I will follow your blog avidly but other times I may only really look at it in passing (which isn't about just your blog, it's more about my availability of time to spend on the internet in general.) So, sometimes I will play catch up (like I'm doing now) and will read something you may have written months ago, but that really speaks to me right now. As if I were only meant to read it when I did. You may never know who all you have touched by this blog, but I guess I just wanted to let you know that you have touched me.