Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Facebook and the Whole Picture

I have read countless blogs/post about how what we see of people's lives via facebook or their blog is not the whole picture. Some chalk it up to dishonesty or trying to impress others, but at least for me that is not the real issue.

I am a big fan of transparency and believe that we can help each other by sharing our faults and failures and what has and hasn't worked in our lives. And I am more than happy to share with you when I screw things up and God uses my failures to show me something, hoping someone else finds it helpful. But the line gets drawn when it comes to my kids. I am more than happy to share their successes via facebook or the blog because I want them to know I am proud of them and what they have accomplished. And I want others to share in that too.

However, as a parent, I am not going to hang up my kids' dirty laundry for the world to see. They expect me to protect them, to support them, and not set them up to be ridiculed or embarrassed. I would think this is why facebook/blogs don't paint the whole picture and make things appear better than they are. Not because we are being dishonest, but because our kids have a right to fail in private, to struggle personally and not publicly. If/when they want to share their struggles and subsequent successes, they are free to do that, but I am not making that call for them.

I admit that sometimes I share some of the struggles my kids face, in at least a vague sense so that you (and my family that doesn't live close to us) can know what's going on and pray, but I mostly keep it one sided from my perspective and how I am handling and dealing with the parenting side and leave a lot of the details out. I am very careful in what I share for these exact reasons.

No comments: