Monday, May 4, 2015

Not A Morning Person

I have always been a night owl, much more than a morning bird. BJ is the opposite. I'd much rather stay up late reading a book, watching a movie, than get up to do the same.

In my years serving God, I have sat through sermon after sermon about the benefits of starting your day off with God.  And I understand the point, really I do, but I usually justify my choice to do devotions at night by saying I have tried and have learned that I am just a night person and mornings just don't work for me. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have tried and failed at this. And I don't like to fail, so at some point, I have just adjusted to what works for me.

But due to the fact I am pregnant (read exhausted) and falling asleep during my devotions, or really struggle to stay awake at the end of the day, and because God has challenged me again in this, I got up this morning 45 minutes before normal and started my day with God. Honestly, it felt good, but there wasn't some instant, earth shattering, revelation or meeting with God, but it felt good. Right. Like I was doing what I needed to. And tomorrow I plan to do this again.

This time it feels different.  And I really think this new habit will stick. It takes 21 days to form a new habit, so praying for some extra grace to make it through the next few weeks.

No comments: