Saturday, December 10, 2011

Higher Ground

This week I had this old hymn stuck in my head. I believe that God brings songs to us because we need them right where we are at, at that particular moment. As is normal for me, I pulled up the lyrics for all of the verses of this song and read them to allow God the opportunity to speak to me through them if he wanted to. The chorus is what keeps going on over and over in my head.
Lord life me up, and let me stand.
By grace on Heaven's table land.
A higher place than I have found.
Lord plant my feet on higher ground.
Higher - one step above where you currently are.  Higher is relative to ones current position.  What may be higher for you may not be higher for me. As Christians, we are not in competition with each other to see whom can be higher or closer to God. God is just calling us (or at least me) to be closer to him, one step higher, always striving to know God more and love him more. Until we reach heaven.

This all comes at a pretty good time as the new year is right around the corner.  Every year we tend to make these high and lofty goals that are forgotten within a few days.  Honestly, I haven't even made a New Year's Resolution in multiple years because I am tired of disappointing myself.  But today I choose higher ground.  Closer to the lover of my soul. Doing more tomorrow than I did today. Loving more fully. 

And I can only keep this goal one day at a time and one moment at a time.  Yes, I will fail, but as long as I keep moving forward, I am doing what God has asked of me. Moving higher.

No comments: