Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Celebrations

On Wednesday, November 23rd, we put up our Christmas decorations (or celebrations as K would call them).  Last year I bought a second tree with the intent of one tree being a tree the kids could decorate and the other being a tree I could decorate.  I told the kids the plans and H  immediately opposed the idea saying that we were all supposed to decorate everything as a family.  A compromise was reached that H would be in charge of the kid tree but that we would all help decorate it and I would be in charge of my tree, but let them help put things on under my direction. So here is the kids tree:


The ornaments I gave them to put on the tree were whatever was left from multiple years of trees with different themes as well as yearly ornaments since we've been married and more recently from vacations.  The kids' additions that I think are noteworthy are the stuffed owl (because we all know owls belong in Christmas trees) and the Barbie doll complete in the package from the store.  Also, you have to notice the package from D to BJ and I that is front and center of the tree and that he insists we can't open until Christmas.  He makes packages like this often for everyone he meets.  He ever made his cousin Erin her very own drivers license, because right now the thought of having a driver's license or credit card is just the coolest thing to him. You should also know that the back of the tree is totally bare of ornaments or decorations, as can be expected.

And then there is my tree:
It's pretty much what you would expect from me. Red and white and silver. Organized. Pretty equally spaced. I am not obsessive about it or anything so it isn't perfect, but I like it. I think my favorite thing about the tree is the ribbon that is curled and comes down from the bow at the top. It is a 9 ft tall skinny tree and fits in my living room between my couch and love seat.  I love that it is a skinny tree and doesn't take a lot of space, but is big enough to look like a tree and not a stick.

Going into my big day of decorating the house I had high hopes for how much the kids would want to help and interfere with my plans. I was prepared for anything and was told not to have any expectations. It went pretty well.  They were pretty much done with decorating by the time they got their tree decorated and left me to finish the rest which was perfect for me.  I could do what I wanted with little interference and the decorations turned out how I wanted them.  This year I didn't add anything new, so it didn't take much time at all for me to get everything done.  About 3 hours in all I'd guess. 

Usually I enjoy putting the lights on the outside of the house, but right now, it is too much for me.  The kids haven't mentioned it, so I don't plan on putting them up unless they ask at some point. Even then, I may only do the two small prelit trees on the front porch and a few lights around the flower beds and skip the roof this year. I always dread taking them down and so for this year, I think we'll pass on that. Maybe next year when things are a little more settled, we'll work on getting them up.  I do have my wreath on my front door, but I change that every season, so it wasn't much more work than usual.

We are getting family pictures done tomorrow, hopefully, if the kids and weather cooperate. I originally had planned to get Christmas cards made, but at this point, we may just make them all "Happy New Years" cards so I don't feel stressed or rushed to get them out on time.  We plan to send photo cards to more people than our normal Christmas card list since this is kind of being combined with the equivalent of  what "birth announcements" would be for a family who just had a baby. I'm thinking if I can find a new years theme that talks about new beginnings or something, it would fit quite well with what is going on in our lives.

The kids have been here for 7 weeks. 7 WEEKS. So hard to believe.  Some days it feels like they just got here and some days it feels like they've always been here.  6 months and final adoption proceedings will be here before we know it. So exciting! 

The next thing on my list of to-dos is to find the kids a dentist and pediatrician who takes their insurance.  I have a couple I plan to call on Monday and verify insurance before I make appointments to get them in. I've been told that not many take the type of Medicaid they are on, so I'm double checking everything and assuming nothing.  The girls both have birthdays in the next month or so, so I'd guess they will be due for well child checkups. I may not take D in until closer to his birthday which is in June.  All of the kids need their 6 month dental cleaning/checkup/whatever they do for kids their age.  I really don't know when all of this starts, so I guess I'll just have to see what they say when I call on Monday.  My kids have been in good health overall and that is such a blessing. We've had little colds here and there, and one slight-fever, but nothing that has hung on for any length of time and wasn't kicked by a little over the counter medicine. I have seen people with sick children (usually younger than mine) and am so grateful for my kids' health overall.

I am doing well with my Christmas shopping, kinda.  I am almost done with the kids and only have everyone else left.  I figure buying for them in the biggest part of our Christmas, so I guess that means I'm more than half way done. BJ and I have decided to get a new TV for each other for Christmas, so I'm off the hook for him for that and only have his birthday to shop for.

The other exciting news I have (or at least to me it's exciting) is that BJ and I will be going to a weekend long marriage conference/retreat in April. Since life has change so much recently, we've decided we need a time just for us, away from the kids, where we can focus on us and making sure our marriage is strong enough to withstand the craziness that is our new life.  We both realize that the kids wear us out and we need to be a unit, loving each other, and parenting them together for the sake of our family and our marriage.  I am convinced that without a strong relationship between us, our kids and our family can't thrive, so we are taking a weekend for us and for them. I've wanted to do one of these before and am really excited that the timing is working out right this time around.  It is around our 8th anniversary and we are considering this our anniversary gift to each other.  I am so looking forward to it.

No comments: