Sunday, December 4, 2011

Jumping in the Puddles

This morning I made a deal with my kids.  If they would not purposefully jump in the puddles on the way into the church, thus getting their church clothes and shoes wet and dirty, I would let them play in the rain and the puddles after we got home and changed into jeans and tennis shoes. 

So tonight we did just that.  

You'd be surprised to know (or maybe you wouldn't) that D was not interested in getting wet and cold at all but rather the girls were both all in when I told them to change clothes so we could go jump in the puddles. (By we I mean them getting all wet while I was taking pictures of the entire ordeal). Yes, I am that mom that let and even encouraged my kids to run through the puddles on the side of the road in the cold and was following with my camera the whole way. It was a blast if I do say so myself.  Sometimes, I think kids just need to be kids. I have always loved the rain and loved playing in the rain, so I was so excited that the girls wanted to participate. The pictures aren't the best, but we sure did have a fun time making memories.  I think its good for them and for me to just be silly and be a kid sometimes and do something a little out of the box just for the fun of it.  And we sure did enjoy ourselves.  I wonder what the people in the cars thought as they drove down our road and saw us running and jumping away in the rain, getting wet, with mom on the sidelines approving the whole way.  I am sure some would have through we were crazy. Let them think all they want.  We had fun and I wouldn't take back those 10-15 minutes for anything. I am so grateful that I have kids who will be silly and let me enjoy it all in the process. Kids are the best! They remind us to enjoy life and not take ourselves too seriously.  I think we could all use a reminder of that on occasion.

No comments: