Monday, June 10, 2013

Daniel's a Third Grader

On Monday, June 3rd, I got to go to Daniel's awards.  They were in his classroom and I really enjoyed them.
 Each kid got to walk up the red carpet when their name was called. Then Ms. Jones interviewed them like they were movie stars. Daniel's question was about what he was looking forward to doing this summer.  Without skipping a beat he answered vacation in Colorado.  Each of the kids in Daniel's class were able to make an award for another student. I think that was a great idea and really a cool thing for them to do.
Daniel got an award for citizenship, social sciences and best smile. He was so proud of himself. Next year his goal is getting A/B honor roll. I know you can do it sweetheart!! Go for it!!

Just watching him in his class with all of his friends, I can see the work that God has done in him and I am so grateful. When he was placed in our home he had been diagnosed as ADHD and was on meds to help him be "normal." I prayed for him, a lot, and cried about him, a lot, and really just had this fear of Daniel never fitting in at school or in any social setting. He couldn't sit/stand still for any length of time and was just socially awkward. But not anymore. He sat perfectly still during the awards and was able to just be a normal kid. Praise God! Recently, as in the past month or so, his behavior at school has improved by leaps and bounds. He went the last three weeks at school getting all smiley faces for behavior. Before that point, he'd never made longer than three days. I asked him what happened and he said he figured out how to pay attention and not get distracted and it just clicked. Now it's easy. I am so proud of my sweet, kind, caring boy. 

Before becoming Daniel's mom, I never understood the special relationship between a mom and her son. Honestly, I was scared of that relationship because I really don't know much about boys. But now I understand. He is growing up into such a sweet hearted young man. He is so caring and compassionate toward others and it just makes me melt. Today while I was at work, he drew me a picture of a rainbow with a heart underneath it that said "I love you mom" and left it on my bed for me to find.  He just melts me. Now, I understand. Daniel's heart has changed me and I'm so glad I get to be his mom.

No comments: