Monday, August 29, 2011

Busy Weekend

I don't guess I've done a normal "here's what's going on in my life" update for a while. My blog has been consumed with adoption and infertility and God speaking, I guess. Those aren't bad things, but I guess my normal has been changing. Who would've thought that thinking about adopting a sibling group would cause change? Not me. I think things are going to be totally normal and life will be about the same as it is now. (Can we say "sarcasm"?) Ok, to keep this from being long and redundant, I'll just tell you about the parts of my weekend that were different from the normal. Sundays are busy for me by choice. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my church and I love being a part of the different ministries I am involved with. This week was a little busier than usual for a few reasons. First, BJ worked on Sunday morning (boo) so I had to get to church and set up the power point and sound system. Not a big deal because I was able to get the songs early and BJ put the power point together Saturday night. This is the first time (that I can remember) that I didn't have some thing go wrong and have to call BJ for direction. Generally I know how to set it all up, but I just don't have experience troubleshooting. But I've learned those things too now. It was nice. Secondly, I led the staff prayer meeting for the first time. Last Sunday I got asked if I would lead and I said yes. When God opens a door, I am trying to walk through, especially if it is in an area I have been praying about. It went well I think, but that bell that announces the end of prayer seemed to take forever. I'm sure it was because I was nervous and was ready to be done. But I loved it. Would love to do it again. I'm sure over time I'll get more relaxed and get better at speaking and leading prayer. In Sunday School we talked about burdens we carry. I had them all hold their burdens (bags of pennies) for the entire class as a reminder of the weight that we carry unnecessarily. God says again and Again and AGAIN cast your cares on me, give it to me to bear, and stop carrying what I didn't give you to carry. But instead of going to God and taking our burdens to him and leaving them there, we check in with him on occasion to to give him a status update on how we are managing our burdens. We say "God I know you want me to forgive and to give you that burden of unforgiveness, but I am doing so well dealing with my hurt. When I see her, I don't feel angry at all God. I am such a good manager, I think I'll just hold on to this burden a little longer. You need my help." We've got to stop trying to micromanage God and truly give him control, give him our burdens. If God tells us to give him our burdens and we don't we are being disobedient. Isn't it funny how when God tells us to do something through his Word and it isn't comfortable for us, we treat it as if it is optional? I think the most honest thing we can do is admit to God that we want to obey him, but it is hard and we need his help. He wants us to rely on him and not try to do it all by ourselves. Well, BJ is still at work (his shift started at 7 this morning) so I'm sure he is going to be exhausted when he gets home. I think I hear him now. Guess I should get off this thing. Quick Adoption Update: We should have the kids files this week to go through and make a decision to continue towards adoption or not. Pray for us to make the right decision based on God's leading and not our emotions.

No comments: