Monday, October 22, 2012

All in a Name

Shortly before the adoption our kids started fighting the idea of changing their names.  For our kids the name changes were small, middle name spelling for Haley to Kay from another spelling of the same middle name and then last names for all. The main reason nothing else changed is because they were older and they already had family names.  Daniel is my dad's name, Kay (for Haley) is my middle name and mom's name and Katelynn's middle name is the same as my mother-in-laws.  If it was up to Katelynn, her name would have been changed to Katelynn Babicita Cinderella Fowler. Seriously. The girl is so goofy!

Once the adoption happened we had a few months where the older two reminded me they'd be putting their biological last name on their papers at school, probably just to see what I'd do.  I told them that was fine but their teacher's wouldn't have a clue who those papers belonged to. But that never grew into anything.

Recently I've noticed that Haley has started to write her entire name on everything. Haley Kay Fowler. And Daniel always writes Fowler, even if he doesn't need to. And Katelynn (who doesn't know how to spell Fowler) tries to add a last name which always includes a F and a W.

I'm pretty sure they are proud to be Fowlers and to be a part of their new family.

It makes me feel good that they know they belong and are loved here. 

It reminds me of one of my favorite scripture verses.

But now, this is what the LORD says--he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Isaiah 43:1

It feels great to belong to one greater than yourself.  To be known by name. To be His.

No comments: