Monday, October 1, 2012

Compassion and Understanding

From the Dictionary of Sandra:

Compassion - Seeing people through eyes of love like Jesus does and caring enough to take time to help.

Understanding - Grasping the reason behind someone's actions or reactions. 

Two characteristics that I definitely lack and yet need so badly for the coming days and weeks. I tend to be less than compassionate to people when they don't see things like I do.  I think my patience has become even less with my hormones being all crazy lately.  And understanding goes right with that for me. Over the years I have become quite frustrated with people who won't do what I think they should. Who don't think like me or react like I do.  You would think by now I would have learned to show more grace and compassion, when I don't understand.  God is reminding me that understanding is not approval. God is not asking me to agree with what others do or the motivation behind their actions, but just to try and see things from their perspective and to be okay with people making different choices than I would and to love them anyway. This is so hard for me. I tend to be critical and judge and be impatient instead of showing grace and mercy like God would.

And so I am very aware that I have no choice but to rely on God to change that about me and to give me the compassion I need for the job ahead.

Psalm 86:15 But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.

The only way I know to become more like my God, full of mercy, grace and compassion, who doesn't get angry with me and my imperfections is to spend more time with him. And to realize I can't decide to be more compassionate or understanding or to change my natural tendencies.  I have to let God change me, and I have to always be aware that I need his strength to get to where he needs me to be.  

So lets consider this my homework project, my time of preparation, my focus for the time being. To gain God's compassion and understanding for the days ahead.

No comments: