Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Recap

I am tired and don't have the pics at my fingertips, but wanted to post about Christmas before I forgot.  This Christmas was a lot different than last year. Last year was overkill. Total insanity. We were first time parents to three kids and they got a ton from us, from first time grand parents, from their foster parents, from the adoption agency and we had been buying them stuff pretty much nonstop since we got them in October. We had only had them 10 weeks at Christmas and it was ridiculous. 

So I vowed to never do that again for a couple of reasons. 1. Christmas is not about the stuff. Never has been. Never will be. It's nice to get stuff, but that's not the point. Not to sound cliche, but Jesus is the reason for the season.  We only give and get gifts as a reminder of the greatest gift of all we received when God sent Jesus to earth for us. And the gifts show each other our love. It feels good to give gifts to other people, especially when you have put thought and effort into it and get them the "perfect gift." 2. I think I was trying to prove to my kids how much better parents we were or that we were good parents by the stuff we got them last year. And it didn't work. And I was disappointed. Somewhere in my brain I expected them to be so appreciative that we bought them new clothes and bought them new toys, and all the other stuff. And they didn't respond how I expected. 3. Christmas is expensive enough without going overkill.

So this year our kids got much fewer gifts and they were just as happy and just as appreciative as before. I warned them well in advance that it would not be like last year. And they still got plenty of stuff and actually still have one more "Christmas" to go this weekend.  As a year has passed they are no longer in comparison mode. At first, they compared everything to how life was before they came to us. And it made it hard for the competitive part of me to not win all the time. Now, life with us is just that. Life. And they are happy. And they are loved. And they know it. And life is good. God is good.

They are such great kids! More often I get heartfelt "thank yous" and unsolicited words of appreciation and I know that we are doing well with them. And God is maturing them and changing them in so many ways. And they are settled.  And they are at home here. Makes my heart happy.

The girls love the boots I got them (knock off uggs in black and pink for Haley and Katelynn, respectively) and they all really like their 3x3 square storage cubes. Even Daniel was excited at how much nicer and more organized he can keep his stuff. I was a little worried that was more of something I'd enjoy rather than them, but I was wrong. The big gift for them all was a trampoline (that is in the box in the garage). I think they will really like it when we can get it up. The snow/rain didn't allow that today. I think Daniel's favorite gift (from my parents) is this little remote control go cart. He played with that all morning.

I wasn't going to get Seth anything since he won't know the difference, but let the older kids pick out some items for him and they were happy he had stuff in his stocking to open. Nothing big, just some clothes, pacifiers, shoes, and stuffed animal. He got some other things but his favorite (ha!ha!) is the little red Nebraska Cornhusker shoes from my sister and her husband.

I should point out that we haven't opened Christmas from BJ's parents yet so I'll have to report on that later. 

We had my parents and in-laws over for smoked ribs today for lunch. BJ was up way too early to get those cooked today.  They were very yummy! I think this is the first time we have had the crew at our house (except for when they brought over food right after Seth was born for some meals) and it went over well. We usually get together at my parents because it is just easier (or its habit), but it worked out well and the kids got to show off their Christmas presents to the grandparents before and/or after lunch.

I have about a week and a half left until I go back to work. I am making a list of things I'd like to do with the kids during that time since we are all here until (except for BJ). The list includes things like McDonalds for lunch, read together with each kid (we got them new books I want to get them interested in), help Katelynn go through and get rid of toys she doesn't play with, and other things.  Nothing big, but I definitely want to spend time with each kids separately some since I have the most free time available right now.

I can't complete a Christmas post without saying that it snowed for Christmas this year. The kids got to play in it for a while and had so much fun. Papa (BJ's dad) was outside with them for a while taking pictures and such so I'll have to steal some from him. I prefer to look at the snow from a distance and stay warm inside. Or go for a walk in it. The kids, however, didn't care that they were cold and wet and had a blast.

I have a couple of new years resolutions brewing in my head I'll post about later probably. Nothing major but just some things I'd like to get accomplished next year and steps I can take to get there. (Thinking with my fingers.)

Merry Christmas, Ya'll! 


No comments: