Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Living in a Hurry

Do not be in a hurry to leave the king's presence. Ecclesiastes 8:3
We live in a time where everything is so rushed and furious. We rarely slow down for anything. We are constantly running between kids activities to work to church to friends to whatever else. So it is no surprise that we don't take time to stay in the King's presence.

God wants to speak and yet we are so busy, we don't have time to listen. Or maybe we don't make time.  We have to learn to stop hurrying, especially when it comes to our time with God.

Seth has definitely made me slow down a bit. No, I don't get all the things done I thought I would or that I want to (I haven't scrapbooked in way too long) but I am learning to slowing down. Seth's middle of the night feedings have become my prayer time. I pray for my kids, my husband, my family and take some time to listen and see what God is trying to speak to me. I know that unless you have a young baby, you don't have a reason to be up alone in the middle of the night (and there was no way I could make myself be up when I didn't have the responsibility of feeding Seth), but we have to make time to just be in our King's presence.  Because he loves us and wants to be with us.

I don't remember where I heard it at but there was someone who kept asking God why he was having to wait to have this certain prayer answered. And God's response was "I like spending time with you." I can totally relate. When we are desperate for God to answer us we make time to seek his face, to spend in his presence. And when he grants us the desires of our hearts we get back to living life in the fast lane, rushing around and forget to just spend time with the one who made us for fellowship with him. The one who just wants to spend time with us.

So that is one of my new year's resolutions: Learning to wait in God's presence without a time clock, without a deadline, but just because he wants to be with me. And I'm not gonna wait another week to start working toward this.

No comments: