Friday, December 14, 2012

Happy 1 Month, Seth!


Wow! It is so hard to believe you have been here for a whole month!  At this age you are wearing size 1 diapers and still in newborn clothes, but I think you may be outgrowing some of those.  Your feet are too long to fit in the feet of the pajamas you are wearing in the pictures, but I don't remember if they fit before or not.

You and I really have this breastfeeding thing down to a science.  You latch on almost immediately and switch between sides very easily.  It hasn't always been that way. You are eating between every 3-4 hours a day and then go one long 5-6 hour stretch at night. I haven't really made you have a schedule except what you want but I may try and make you go closer to a 4 hour stretch soon. Just so I can plan for when I go back to work a little better.

You have recently decided that you want to be awake in the evenings when all the action is going on at our house. Which would be fine if you would lay and observe the family, but instead you have decided to cry from about when I get the kids home until 8 or so. It makes for a long evening with us trying everything under the sun to get you happy. Any one thing lasts for about 5 minutes until you need something else to soothe you. And that's okay. You are a baby and maybe you just need to work out your crying skills.  I am ready for this habit to change, however.

I have learned that as soon as I think I know what you are going to do or why or how to help you, it changes. Same thing with your feeding schedule and your temperament. And other moms have confirmed this to be true, so I guess we are amid good company.

You spit up a lot, or it seems like a lot to me. Grandma says I spit up a lot too, so you must get this from me. And I've been assured you really are getting some milk even though it doesn't seem like it some times.

Your brother and sisters are smitten with you and I love watching them interact with you. They seem to understand that you need more of my attention and they are okay with that most of the time.  It does get kind of hard when I need to help with homework or cook dinner and you just want to be held.  I bought a baby carrier that I was sure you would love, but think you are too small for it just yet. I tried it once and you cried the whole time. Haley hates it when you spit up and runs from you. She says she's okay with it, but she hasn't proven it yet.  They ask to hold you often. Last night we took sibling pictures for the Christmas card and they turned out pretty cute for just a snapshot.

You are really good with visitors and guests.  You are so sweet and quiet and cuddly when someone wants to hold you and I am so proud of that. It's okay if you aren't that way all the time for us. We try and be understanding. In general, when I have tried to plan your feeding around some scheduled event, you have done really well (usually sleeping through the entire event) which makes it so much easier on me. 

Church goes really well (which was one of the things I was worried about the most since Sunday's were unbelievably busy  before you joined our family). It's probably the most structured event I try to feed during and around to keep you happy and still be able to get everything done I need to between teaching Sunday School and playing piano for praise and worship. Generally I can feed you before we leave the house and than again after praise and worship and then again before the second service. You stay with Daddy in the sound booth during morning service so I can grab you as soon as I'm done playing and feed you before I'm needed again. You go in the nursery on Wednesday nights with Ms. Lydia and she loves on you. You are the only baby right now.

We love you so much and are so glad that you are a part of our family, sweetheart!
                                                                                                                       ~Mommy and Daddy

I thought it would be good entertainment to post some outtakes from his one month old pictures I tried to take today. It was hard getting him to look at me and cooperate.  So here are some of the other pics. These prove he is not always happy and I think they are kind of funny. I don't know how you mom's get your kids to sit still for pics at this age. Seth just wanted to fuss and wiggle the whole time.
This is my angry face!
I am not a happy camper!

No more pictures, please!!

No comments: