Monday, December 17, 2012

Last Minute

Last Sunday I agreed to be in the Christmas play at church, whose production was yesterday.  Yep, less than a week before the play was to be put on I agreed to take on a part.  My dad had quite a time this year with the play.  It seems like he had multiple people initially show interest and then quit, or find out they couldn't be at the actual performance or whatever.  One of the characters changed actors 4 times.  So 1 week out I took on the part, kind of as a last minute option. I am normally all involved in the play, but set out this year because I would be having Seth about a month before the performance and I really didn't know how much that would affect my flexibility and I was trying to lay low for a while.  (On a side note, that is really hard for me. I am just so used to being busy and involved.) So I learned my lines and it went over pretty well, at least my part did, I think. Nothing like last minute.  It was actually kind of nice not having to be at practice every week for a little over 3 months and just showing up at the end, memorizing my parts, and performing. I think I would have been a lot more stressed than my dad seemed to show if I would have been there through it all. Instead, I only had to endure 2 practices (long as they were since we ran through the entire production multiple times.)

It seemed like this year we had a lot of different people in the play, which I really enjoyed. Not all of them were as committed as we'd like, but it is good to get to know people in a different setting then just typical church.

I really think God uses stuff like this to push us.  Not just to get out of our comfort zone, but also to realize we can do things we otherwise thought impossible. My friend, Lisa, realized she could memorize if she worked at it and has used her new found confidence to start memorizing scripture.  You know how much I am loving that, seeing as I am big on memorizing scripture myself. I could get on my soap box about how you can do whatever you decide to do, especially memorizing, if you don't talk yourself out of it, but I won't.

I am looking forward to being in the play next year.  I can see how some of the parts would have been so fun to memorize if I had committed to the play the entire time. After this year, Dad may not be directing a play for a while so I may have to put it together or find someone to put it together. Or maybe I can talk him into directing a play with a smaller more dedicated cast so I can just act, which is really what I prefer. Is it weird that I want to start looking online for a Christmas play for next year?

No comments: