Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Healer of my Scars

Wish it could be easy
Why is life so messy
Why is pain a part of us
There are days I feel like
Nothing ever goes right
Sometimes it just hurts so much

But You're here
You're real
I know I can trust You

Even when it hurts
Even when it's hard
Even when it all just falls apart
I will run to You
Cause I know that You are
Lover of my soul
Healer of my scars
You steady my heart 

 
I'm not gonna worry
I know that You got me
Right inside the palm of your hand
Each and every moment
What's good and what gets broken
Happens just the way that You plan

And I will run to You
You're my refuge in Your arms
And I will sing to You
Cause of everything You are

You steady my heart 


So this morning God was speaking to me, again, through this song by Kari Jobe which is called Steady My Heart. The line that I couldn't let go of described Jesus as the "Healer of my scars."
In our natural mind this is an oxymoron, contradictory, does not compute.

Because scars are the permanent reminder of a past hurt. Permanent. Like writing on paper with a sharpie. Not going away. Yes, scars fade over time, but never really disappear.

Often we pray for God to heal the hurt in our hearts and he does (Thank you, God!), but we don't really think about the scars that are left behind. We get used to our scars. They don't hurt any more and we just accept them as a part of who we are. Like the small scar I have on the corner of my eye from when I was little. No one really notices it, but I know its there. So why does God want to heal the scars? Or does he? This is, after all, not a scripture but just a writers interpretation of what God can do.

The definition of being healed is to be brought back to original purity. As if it never happened. God's desire is for us to be whole, complete, pure, free from the past and healing our scars is a part of his plan. There is a difference between having a scar and remembering the pain that caused the scar.  The struggles, the pain, and the victory over that is what grows us and matures us.  We don't have to relive the pain, but we can never return to life like it was before that.  Because the struggle made us stronger and we don't want to go back to being weak and vulnerable to the devil's attacks again.  So we must let God heal the scars and hurts and learn to forgive and move forward, stronger than before, in God's strength and not our own.

No comments: