Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Standing Up

Last night Haley had a choir concert. The theme was Motown so they sang songs like "My Girl" and "Ain't no Mountain." So the song selection was pretty classic and most of the audience knew them. One of the songs was "Superstition." Its about luck and fate being in control of life. Of course we believe God is in control, so we definitely don't agree with the song. But I wouldn't have said anything. Singing that song wasn't going to jeopardize our Christianity.

But it bugged Haley. More so that there was a line that said the "devil's on the way." So she took it upon herself to ask her choir director if she could step behind the curtains during that song because she wasn't comfortable singing that line. And he let her. It wasn't an obvious picket line to cause an uproar, but something she felt she needed to do in order to stand up for what she believed.

And I'm proud of her. In most circumstances she really wants to be accepted and tends to follow the crowd instead of being a leader. But when my girl has an opinion and doesn't think God would approve of her doing something, she isn't scared to stand up. I was such a shy child it is hard for me to even think about approaching a teacher for approval to do something out of the normal. That would have terrified me. But not her. She is stronger than I was at that age. And she really has no fear of being different. She actually likes that attention.

She's gonna make a difference for the kingdom of God. Yes we butt heads because she can be stubborn, but stubborn is what it takes sometimes to stand up for the right thing. Love that girl! She makes me proud every day!

No comments: