Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Trying Something New

Since I graduated college, I have worked full time. In my field and with my employer, this means 40-45 hour weeks are the norm with 50-55 hour weeks during a few busy months out of the year. I am not at all complaining. For a CPA, I know that is fewer hours than most. I chose to work for a small firm because I was not willing to work more than that. I love my job, but my life has changed a lot in the past few years (kids do that to you.) Bj getting a new job with more pay has given me the freedom to change things.

So, yesterday was the first day of my new 35 hour per week job. Yes, I am still at the same place and doing the same job and doubt that will ever change, but I have chosen to take a cut in pay in order to work less and spend more time being a parent. Honestly, the busy times will probably look the same, but with reduced normal hours in between. I hope that I am able to make this work and feel a little more connected to my kids and husband.

My boss, Elaine, has been great to me over the years and I am so glad she was able to give me this option. When you work with a small group for so many years, they really do become like family. We probably know too much about each other's lives, but we like it that way. If this wasn't an option, I am sure that I would have stuck it out and continued to work the hours, because I love my job so much but I am hoping that having a little more time will allow me help my kids more and be mentally more productive when I am at work.

And since I will usually be the first parent home, I will be picking up the dinner duties more than I have been (Bj has been so great! He is actually picking up Mama's Pizza for dinner. Yeah, I am spoiled.) I really need to menu plan and shop accordingly. I realized last night that my pantry and fridge were not prepared for me to be cooking all week. Oops! We have plenty of things Bj would cook but nothing for my go to meals. Guess that will have to wait until next week.

And I have plenty of time to think about adding to our family.

No, this isn't a pregnancy announcement. I really don't know if I want more kids or not. I guess we'll just see what God has in store. My OB/GYN says when you ask God, he usually answers yes. He has a direct line to God, he says. I love Dr. Wiegman. Always makes me smile.

If we do have another child, we should really consider naming it "Not Me." We kind of have a running joke about my 5th kid Not Me always getting in trouble. When I ask the kids who did whatever, they always blame him/her. I guess they would be born in trouble. Maybe that isn't the best idea. :)

I am just all over the place today. Now that you have all been entertained by the musings of my mind, we will now return to regularly scheduled programming. Until my thoughts strike again...

No comments: