Saturday, February 28, 2009

Freedom

As I type the title of today's topic of reflection, I am picturing the end of Braveheart where they are about to kill William Wallace and he screams at the top of his lungs, "FREEDOM." Because of Christ's sacrifice, I can have freedom to be who he created me to be. Oftentimes we stifle our true selves to fit in with a crowd or not get weird looks or comments from others. The truth is that people judge us based on what they think is normal and acceptable behavior, so we succumb to the pressure and act as we think they expect. There was a time in my life not too long ago where I tried desperately to fit in with certain people. It was very important to me to be accepted and to do things the proper way according to their opinions. I am not talking about being tempted to sin or anything like that, but I was under pressure to act a certain way. The good news is that I can be the real normal Sandra and God loves me just the same. Actually, I think he shakes his head and chuckles at me when I'm trying to be someone I am not. The real Sandra likes to sing songs and dance around the room and just be a goofball sometimes just because I can and God loves me just that way. If I were to draw a picture of freedom, it would show me singing and dancing in the middle of the street in the rain without a care in the world. I don't really know when everything changed for me, but I really don't care what anyone thinks about me except God. His opinion is all that matters. Thank you, God, that I can have freedom to be me, without any reservations or hesitations. If more people would take advantage of the freedom we have in Christ, I think we'd all realize we aren't as crazy as people make us feel. 2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

No comments: