Sunday, November 13, 2011

Giving Thanks - Day #13

Today I am thankful for the cold I have.  Stay with me and it'll make sense, I promise. I have been feeling pretty yucky for the past few days.  Today I am kinda in a daze and while for most people that would be bad, it has taught me to chill out some. Since we got the kids I have been going full force trying to be consistent and to discipline them for their good.  And to some extent it has worked.  And the flip side of that coin is that I have been nit picking everything to death and it was probably stressing them out as much as it was me. But today, when I was really too tired or in a daze to care about all the little things, I chilled out and really I think the kids responded to me much better. (Maybe they were just being nice because they knew I didn't feel good.)  We are turning a corner here, I think. Maybe I am getting the hang of this.  My friend Elaine told me to pick my battles and I never really understood that until today.  Being a parent is hard and new for me, but I really hope that I have learned from this mistake at least, and am able to calm down and stop trying to create perfect kids. I can't rely on myself or my methods because I will always fail. Because I am insufficient, but my God is not. I am learning to do less picking apart every detail and more praying to the one who can speak to my kids, who can help them, and who provides the strength and wisdom I need to raise them to love and serve Him. So, yes, today I am thankful for a silly little cold.

No comments: