Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Giving Thanks - Day #8

Today I am thankful for the blood of Jesus.  I thought about writing this post a few days back and then again yesterday, but the moment just wasn't right.  In Sunday School, our class was about the power of the blood of Jesus in our lives.  We talked about forgiveness, redemption, reconciliation, and victory. There are a couple of thoughts I want to reiterate here.

Reconciliation is defined as bringing back to harmony with, to restore, to have relationship with. It is just beyond me that God would give up his son so that he could have relationship with me.  Romans 5:8 has been going over and over in my mind this week.  It says that God showed us his love by sending Jesus to die while we were still sinners. Since I am a parent now, I can relate to God in different ways than before. I see things differently I guess.  No matter how upset my children make me, or how frustrated I am at them for not listening or not obeying or defying me, while they are in the middle of the rebellion that causes strife between us, I would still do anything for them.  It's just like God with us.  No matter what we have said to him or done to him or how far we are running or deliberately breaking his heart, when we were at our worst, that is when he chose to give up his son for us. So he could have relationship with us.  It is not enough for us to know about him, he wants us to know him and share ourselves with him. Every imperfect detail. And that relationship with God can be stronger than any relationship you have ever had or ever will have with another human being.  Amazing!  He shed the blood of his son so we can come boldly to him, without fear, without hesitation.  To have an intimate relationship with the creator of the universe.

The price of our victory over sin and struggle is the blood of Jesus.  We can never be over-comers on our own, but only through the blood.  The precious blood provides our victory.  And there is no such thing as victory without a struggle.  If your opposition gives in or chooses not to participate in the battle, there is no struggle, and there is no victory.  In order to have victory you must be involved in an encounter over which one can be victorious.  So, if your struggling, you are half way to the victory.  The other half is relying on the blood and not our methods and our ways.  They work fine in the physical world we live in, but in a spiritual battle, you have to use spiritual weapons and you don't get those from yourself.


No comments: