Friday, November 4, 2011

Giving Thanks - Day #4

Today I am thankful for God's word and the ability to memorize easily.  I don't know where I would be without a scripture to stand on or a promise to trust in from God. God's word is an extension of who He is.  It reminds me who I am in Christ and what God has promised for those who love him, which is a lot.  If you know me, you know I have memorized a big portion of God's word over the years in Sunday School, Missionettes, Bible Quiz, and otherwise. In most of those situations I learned God's word not because of the benefit it would give me but to get a goal accomplished, whether it was a competition or finishing a badge.  And I am so grateful for the competitions that pushed me to do something that would benefit me in life so much more than I realized in the heat of the competition.  I cannot count the number of times I have been able to locate a scripture verse to apply to a struggle or situation I was dealing with because I had put God's word into my heart at a young age and continue to do so. It has been life changing for me to not have to rely on a physical reference but to have God's word in my memory bank to pull from when I need it.

My favorite thing about God's word is that just like God, it doesn't change but stands forever.  God's word doesn't depend on me but is constant despite what I am going through or how everything else is changing around me and my life is complete chaos right now.  If you know me, I don't like change too well, so I'm glad to have the constant in my life of God's word. The kids and I have been listening to a couple CDs of scripture memory verse songs and I enjoy it as much as the kids, maybe more.  Here's my favorite song right now from those CDs. The video seems to not start at exactly the beginning, but it is all I could find online.
By the way, if you are interested, I found these scripture memory CD's for kids and love them.  I find that often the songs do the job of helping to memorize scripture, but annoy the adults in the process.  Not good.  These are cool and really aren't annoying, or at least to me they aren't.  I find myself singing these songs throughout the day and it really keeps me going.

Thank you God for you word and how it changes me!

No comments: